Tuesday, February 11, 2020

2/11/20; Week 6: Differences in Emotional Expressivity

Differences in Emotional Expressivity 

Image result for emotional expression
This week I had the opportunity to listen to a lecture from John J. Ivers, a professor at BYU-Idaho about differences in emotional expressivity. He talked about how low-expressivity would be akin to someone being more stoic in public than in private, and those with higher expressivity, very vocal and expressive with their emotions. 

I remember a time where I, a girl from a culture of moderate expressivity, was very intimidated by high emotional expressivity. When I was about ten I went with my step mom to visit her friend from Greece because she wanted to be to be friends with her son, Nico. Greeks have very high expressivity, and when she would ask me questions it would sometimes startle me and I wasn't sure what to say. 
She'd say abruptly, "Well- when do you want to come over and play with Nico?" Which is a simple question, but in my mind, I didn't want to seem demanding or obtrusive, so I just shrugged, smiling. "Whenever is fine." 
And she'd say "Speak up and make up your mind, girl. Just tell me what you want. Don't be shy- I don't like when people are shy!" 
I remember feeling my face going hot, even as I kept a plastered smile on and tried to be polite. I wasn't sure how to react to someone being so direct. 

It's funny because in my perspective, she was all up in my grill, and I was a tad terrified. But to her, I was being difficult by not being forward with my thoughts and speaking up. What's even funnier is how I have been in the reverse situation where I intimidated a boy in one of my classes who was from China, who was quite introverted. When I spoke to him, I was animated and asked him a lot of questions that at times would cause him to stare at me, stiff, his pupils small. I hadn't realized I'd 'come on a little too strong,' until later, which I think is how those from low-expressive countries would few those with higher expressivity. Have you guys even been made uncomfortable in situations like that?  

My experiences being in both situations help me to be conscientious of how it would play into my role as a teacher. I don't want to frighten my students how I was, or how I did to that poor quiet Chinese boy. This got me thinking how it would be entertaining for TESOL students to do activities aimed to help them practice awareness of others expressive levels and their own. So I started to research some ideas for games to help exercise their awareness. I found an article with a list of good ideas that immerse students in one another's cultures which I listed down below. One of my favorites in that list which I plan to use in class someday was "Saying Hello" where you have the students explain to each other what they do in their own cultures to greet, not just in their language, but also their body language. I liked this one the most because body language is the number one way people show their emotions, so what better way to get them used to understanding each other?   

Do you guys think that you could benefit from activities like that with your future or maybe current students? Let me know what level of expressivity you think you (as an individual) might have! 




Sources to check out- 
John J. Iver's lecture on Differences in Emotional Expressivity 

Cultural Shock Activities 






No comments:

Post a Comment